Tax Returns for Common-Law Couples

Posted Nov 15th, 2021 in Ask ATAP

Tax Returns for Common-Law Couples

Q:  My boyfriend and I have been living together for a year and a half -  do we need to file as common-law on our tax returns?

 A:  You are deemed to be in a common-law relationship if you have been living together in a conjugal relationship for a period of twelve continuous months. 

For partners who have been living together for less than twelve months, you are still considered common-law if your partner is the parent of your child or if your partner has custody of your minor child (and your child is dependent on your partner).

Reporting your relationship status correctly is important to determine your tax credits and related benefits.  For help in preparing your 2021 tax return, contact an ATAP member today.


Post a Comment

Smilinng Members

Become a Member

Experience your full potential by becoming a member, and take advantage of numerous educational and professional benefits.

Join Today

1 (800) 429-2802