Medical Marijuana

Posted Dec 13th, 2021 in Ask ATAP

Medical Marijuana

Q:  My mother was prescribed medical marijuana by her doctor.  Can she claim the cost of it on her tax return?

A:  Yes - the cost for marijuana, marijuana plants or seeds, cannabis or cannabis oil will be considered a valid medical expense for any individual who is authorized to possess these substances for their medical use, providing that they were purchased in accordance with the rules set out in the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations or section 56 of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.

These costs would be added to other medical expenses (prescription drugs, dental costs, etc.) and subject to a reduction based on income.  The resulting amount can be claimed as a non-refundable tax credit on your mother’s tax return.  Depending on your mother’s circumstances, there may even be a refundable credit available to her.

Claims for medical expenses can be quite confusing and are amongst the most reviewed parts of the tax return.  To make sure you are claiming all the medical expenses you are entitled to and are claiming them in the correct manner, contact an ATAP member today.

Find a Professional


Post a Comment

Smilinng Members

Become a Member

Experience your full potential by becoming a member, and take advantage of numerous educational and professional benefits.

Join Today

1 (800) 429-2802