NETFILE is an electronic tax-filing service that lets you do your personal taxes online and send your income tax and benefit return directly to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
If you're one of those really organized people who already have their tax return completed, today is the first day you can submit it online. Even if you're not ready to file, here are some things you need to know in order to file online:
- You must use a NETFILE-certified software program. Your choices include free, pay-what-you-want and paid software.
- You can only submit returns for 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 or 2021
- You cannot submit a tax return for another person (for example, if a taxpayer prepared a spousal/family return, each taxpayer must send his or her return separately)
- If you went bankrupt in 2020 or 2021 (does not include a proposal for bankruptcy) you cannot use NETFILE
- If you are a non-resident of Canada you cannot use NETFILE
For a full list of restrictions, visit the NETFILE eligibility page on the CRA Website.
And, of course, you can get help from an ATAP Tax Professional.